Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Bombolini

Since I'm a pastry cook, guests always expect something great at the end of one of my dinner parties. However, I always have a hard time deciding what to make that will 1) be easy enough to prepare 2) be somewhat impressive and 3) please everyone. To complicate things on this particular occasion, I was entertaining family, who I have not seen for awhile, and children. After much internal debate, I settled upon bombolini for my dessert. It's an easy dessert (really just fried balls of brioche), is fun to eat, and has great stage presence. And who doesn't love doughnuts?

The day ahead, I made the brioche dough, and put it in the refrigerator to scale the next day. On the morning of the party, I scaled out 20g pieces, rolled them into balls, and left them in the fridge until dessert time. While I waited for the fryer to heat up (the second time I've used it in 2 years!) I removed the bombolini from the fridge and placed them in the warm kitchen to rise-which may take shorter or longer depending on the temperature of your kitchen. I fried them in small batches until golden brown and cooked through, let drain on a paper towel, and rolled them in cinnamon sugar while they were still warm. To add wow factor I served them with homemade fillings-on-the-side that each person could add to his or her liking. You could use anything from homemade fruit compotes, creme anglaise, or sauces to pre-purchased hot fudge, frosting, preserves, or whipped cream.

Frying Bombolini
Draining


Rolling in Cinnamon Sugar


Done!

The bombolini were a hit. Everyone loved them and the bowl seemed to disappear in no time. Its not everyday that we treat ourselves to a doughnut, especially one still warm from the fryer so I think this one is will stay as a favorite. Now I just have to think up more excuses to use the deep fryer...

3 comments:

  1. those look delicious... i'm currently drooling at my desk. can you tell me more about your at home deep fryer? what brand is it and is it relatively easy to use

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Waring Pro which I bought a couple of years ago. It is kinda pricey (I think it was around $120) but its great especially if you will use it often. It has a temperature setting so you don't have to worry about adjusting the heat. It also comes with fryer baskets, for easy/safe frying and removal, and a lid to cover it with. Its a great model if you are willing to spend the money, but if not a heavy bottomed pot with tall sides and a thermometer will work just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love the recipe. Care to share? Angel

    ReplyDelete