Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Ansill: Korean Tacos


After hearing all the buzz about Korean Tacos, and how they quickly seem to be taking over the world, I had no choice but to head over to Ansill to see what all the chatter was about. With a great happy hour, deals on 1/4L carafe of wine, beer, oysters, and Korean Tacos (one will cost you $5) there's really nothing to lose here. Of course, you have to be able to sneak a seat at the shiny wooden bar. On this particular Friday, I sat next to none other than Chef David Ansill himself. While I'm not one to engage in small talk, he initiated a conversation with my husband and I, by politely informing us that he could assist us with any questions. So, I figured I might as well ask about the tacos, and proceeded with the incredibly original statement, "So what's in the Korean Tacos?" He explained that the meat is seasoned with Korean spices, and topped with crispy shallots, herbs, and spicy kimchee among other things. Sounds good, but I was still unsure. When it arrived I have to admit that I felt a lot of pressure to show my love for the taco since the chef was staring at me as I took my first bite. It was a bit uncomfortable actually, but thankfully the tacos were...really good! The meat was tender, the flavors were fresh and light, the kimchee was spicy and crunchy, and the sauce tied everything together. I eloquently remarked to the chef through my taco filled teeth, "It's better than a regular taco!" I couldn't think of anything else to say. But, it was good. The hype is accurate and well deserved this time. Who knew that a soft Mexican tortilla is the perfect wrapper for a collection of classic Korean ingredients? The melting pot of america at its best. Chef Ansill also mentioned he may open a truck similar to the one in CA where we can all get our Korean-Taco-Fix at various locations around the city. And for the record, I ordered another taco when he wasn't even looking.

Overall:A-
Ansill
627 S. 3rd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147
215-627-2485
www.ansillfoodandwine.com

No comments:

Post a Comment