Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Baked Macaroni & Cheese with Spicy Sausage

We've all had the classic "macaroni and cheese with hot dogs." In my case, it was my husband who introduced me to this easy and delicious comfort food in college. Ever since, it has been one of our go-to meals when we're feeling cheap and tired of our usual take-out places. Today, I put my own spin on this classic by making my macaroni and cheese from scratch (not Kraft) and substituting the hot dogs with spicy sausage. First, I sliced the andouille (you could also use chorizo) and sauteed it in a little olive oil to crisp the outside. Then, I prepared the macaroni and cheese by boiling the pasta to al dente. I prefer to use a sturdy, substantial noodle like rigatoni or shells instead of elbows for more bite. Meanwhile I made a roux, equal parts butter and flour cooked for about one minute, and slowly added 2% milk-probably about 3 cups total-and brought it to a boil with garlic powder, black pepper, and salt to taste. You could add red pepper flakes for added spice. Once it was boiling I shut of the heat and added about 1 1/2 cups shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese and 1/3 cup parmesan and stirred until it was melted and homogeneous. Once the pasta was done I tossed it with the cheese mixture and the sausage and transferred it to a greased baking dish-the wider the better so you get more crispy bits. Sprinkle the top with some bread crumbs and cheese for a better crust. Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees until bubbly, remove the foil and broil until the top is crusty. Cheesy, crunchy, spicy, and meal in one dish. Yummm.

No comments:

Post a Comment